Monday, September 29, 2008

I Have Grounds for Divorce!!!

Next May marks 20 years of marriage for me...and for my husband, too, because this was the first marriage for both of us. We went about it in a strange way. Neither of us had been married before, neither of us had any children, and we decided that May 5, 1989 would be the first time we would "sleep together." We didn't have any testing for disease and we were not smart enough to do background checks on each other. We also didn't draft a pre-nuptial agreement. Certainly, by society's standards, we were not very smart. There were so many ways that we didn't "check each other out" before walking down the aisle at Oak Grove Assembly of God in Springfield, MO. It could have been a disaster.

Now after 20 years of marriage and three children together, I realize that I have legal grounds for divorce. Would you believe that after all this time and experience I have discovered that my marriage has a terminal disease: irreconcilable differences! If only I had known 20 years ago that there would be differences between Shawn and I that we would not be able to be overcome! I could have looked a little longer and harder and found someone...well... just like me!

This was, after all, a mixed marriage. He is a Yankee and I am a Southerner. This alone should have given me pause. He wants to eat bratwurst rather than brisket and he grew up listening to The Beatles rather than Johnny Cash. I can't stand to be late and he thinks the clock on the wall is for "decorative purposes only." He is a very disciplined morning riser and I hide under the covers and press "snooze" far more than any reasonable person should.

He would rather watch a football game than read a good novel and prefers the temperature of the house and car to be somewhat comparable to the polar bear exhibit at the zoo. The differences in our personalities have caused more than one person to ask, "How in the world did the two of you ever get together?"

More important is the question, "How have we STAYED together?" At least four major things have kept us together, regardless of our different likes, dislikes, and personalities:
1. Core values have been developed together: parenting, money management, spiritual values, etc
2. Compromise on the inconsequential things and working slowly through those things that carry bigger consequences...and willingness to ask for help
3. Learning to enjoy new things...and even tolerate (without complaining) a few things that we just can't learn to like
4. Understand that variety is the spice of life and allow each other freedom to enjoy things that the other may not care for...but keeping most of the enjoyment in life focused on the things we can do together

We're making enough progress that we won't be using those legal grounds for divorce any time soon...he's learned to love PBS and, just the other day, I ate a bratwurst without complaint. Have there been times when the only thing that kept us together was sheer commitment to vows? Sure! But those times come and go...the core values that have kept us together - faithfulness, honesty, and forgiveness - have stayed steady.

If you're in a marriage and feeling "incompatible," take a deep breath and begin to look for the blessings in your incompatibility. They are there - just sometimes hidden under all the junk life throws on us. Build on your strengths together, acknowledge and work through your needs, and realize that while society says that incompatibility is grounds for divorce God can make it grounds for a great marriage!

I love you, Frog!!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes! If I knew then what I know NOW...*sigh* ;o) I have never heard of a married couple yet who didn't have irreconcilable differences! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! All things I'm learning now - 3 months into my marriage to a wonderful and VERY different guy! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthie truly has grounds for divorce! She & I have been married all this time and we have discovered just how different we are and how frustrating that is at times! But we also have learned to walk in God's grace with each other and to discover new mutual interests (like PBS Masterpiece & Mystery Theatre, and many things British!)
    She's right in that our shared core values has been the glue for m uch of our marriage. She has a great sense of humor and a terrific sense of spontenaity that offsets her controlling, er that is, "controlled, love to schedule things" personality!
    When were first married, I thought she was lucky to have quite a catch like me. She has always been a stunning beauty - inside & out! But I was more egotistical, selfish, & ungrateful than I realized, which caused her much pain & grief.
    Through the years, I've learned I can do without scary or shoot 'em up movies, or Ford Mustang brochures every new model year.
    I've also learned that I truly married much better than she did and one of my aims in life is to be the kind of husband that God wants me to be for her so as to "repay the compliment" she gave me by saying "yes" to my proposal. With all her quirks,abilities, & attributes, she is the 2nd greatest gift God has given me, next to His Son, Jesus Christ.
    I'd like to think that my quirks, talents, & personality traits could be facets of God's heart that he can make into a great gift for her as well.
    Marriage with Ruthie is an amazing, maddening, fun, frustrating adventure in God's book for our lives and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    I love you Toad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for staying together. i wish you knew how it feels. i'll tell you some day when we're old. i have to get off now so you can do your grades. luv you.!<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad the church does not let the one that do not have your strength to be forgiven, given though God does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the church is making some improvements on helping divorced people find healing from what can easily be the greatest hurt in their lives. We are realizing that divorce is a one-time act not a continual state...I think the question that bothers a lot of people is "How do I 'repent' of divorce?" Does that mean I have to go back and seek remarriage with my former partner? Or does repentance mean leaving the sin behind and making life changes to ensure it does not happen again. These are all questions we have to deal with. Until we all get this down perfectly we need to work to help those who are divorced find the healing that God has for them.

    The message needs to get out that divorce is not the unpardonable sin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice politically correct answer. I'll just stay home. The church does not care about me, just pointing fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry your experience has been that way...and if that is what you are convinced you will find then I'm sure you will be successful at finding it because "pointing fingers" still happens. But you might consider giving it another go...

    I grew up in a divorced home...and my father was a pastor. I am well aware of how badly the church can treat divorced people. But I have also seen the church reach out to help people through the junk that goes with it. I have met many people (some attending church and some not) through leading a church-supported group just for those going through divorce who have shared good and bad experiences. If you have tried looking for help and haven't found it where you were - keep looking until you do find it.

    Pointing fingers can work both ways...please don't judge ALL churches by what you have experienced in some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marriage is a work in progress. Opposites attrack and that can be good, but it also has its problems. Curt and my differences compliment each other 'most' of the time. Then there are those moments........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frog, Toad and tadpoles,

    Wishing you all the blessings that our Aunt and Uncle are celebrating this November.

    Speaking on both sides of the street, Having been with my current husband for the last 20 years, and married 14 years in January.

    Thanks for being there for me and mine!

    ReplyDelete