Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A "Boltz" of Lightning on the CCM news front

I remember the first time I heard a Ray Boltz song. I was driving down National in Springfield, MO and the song "Watch the Lamb" played on the radio. I literally got so caught up in the story of the song that I pulled over and finished listening so I could focus on the story. I was close to tears at the end when the song made the final correlation of Jesus as THE Lamb. It is beautiful writing and well presented. I have used the song many times as a "human video" around Good Friday. (On a side note - I did this song for a presbyterian church in LeClaire, IA and they reported to the Quad City Times that "Ruthie Oberg, pastor's wife at First Assembly of God will be doing an interpretive dance at First Presbyterian." Russ Kinney saw it in the paper and called to ask why I was dancing for presbyterians.)

I also remember the incredible feeling of grace as I listened to "The Anchor Holds" sung at Virginia Wenig's funeral several years ago. The lady singing had recently lost her young missionary husband to cancer and she prefaced the song with "I have sung this song many times while standing on the shore to encourage others out in the boat...but lately I have sung this song from within the boat itself and I still find that the anchor holds." Beautiful!

With all that said, I found it interesting to find so much discussion of what place Ray's music should hold in the church now that he has left his wife of 30 years and come out as "a normal gay man." http://washblade.com/2008/9-12/arts/feature/13258.cfm?CFID=17404355&CFTOKEN=75650803

I remember this same discussion when I was at Central Bible College in 1988 when the news of the Jimmy Swaggart debacle hit the airwaves. "Should we play Jimmy's songs on the radio? Has everything that he has ever done now count for nothing?" These are the questions some Christians are asking now about Ray Boltz.

Here's my humble opinion: Truth is Truth and it is not dependent on the lifestyle of the person singing. A song that had a positive truth value 10 years ago still has that same truth value today regardless of who is singing it. If we were to throw out everything that has been written or sung by someone who has later confessed to sin...well, let's throw out half the hymnal, most of our sermons, and certainly the books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Solomon...there's no real biblical proof that Solomon ever did repent and he pulled some REAL lulu's...(passing his sons through the fire, etc.)

Now all that said, I am one who prefers that the lifestyle of the person singing matches up with what they are singing about. For example, everyone who knows me knows that I LOVE country music. This morning bringing the kids to school I had in a CD of Willie Nelson singing "On the Road Again." A great song for Willie to sing! But, for some reason, I usually press skip when he sings "Amazing Grace." Now I love the song Amazing Grace and I like Willie Nelson but for Amazing Grace to carry meaning for me it helps to know that the person singing it would truly testify to living a life that was "lost but now is found." I don't know that Willie has reached that point in his long life and therefore, the song is just a "good classic gospel song" rather than a testimony of what he has experienced in his own life.

SO...what about Ray Boltz? I'll keep his CD's and still play them and probably still use his songs. They are good songs...but it will be with a tinge of sadness for him and for others like him who feel that the only way to be "themselves" is to pretend that everything is OK when it truly isn't...which it what he says he has been doing for the last 30 years.

What are your thoughts?

Let's pray for each other...we're all in this together!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthie - Great post! I hadn't heard about Ray Boltz yet, but I agree I love some of his past songs and will pray for him to find where he needs to be in God again.

    As for your question, I feel the same as you. God often uses even unbelievers to bless His children. After all, He works all things for His purposes.

    For example, it seems whenever things get a little tight around here financially, various Chinese students from our ESL classes will bring big bags or boxes of extra groceries to give to Lawrence and me. These people have no idea about our financial situation, and most are not even Christians, yet God uses them by giving them an abundance of food (translated from Chinese, their reason for giving is they could "eat and never finish" what they have, probably from food stamps). God then gives them the idea to share with us - often by giving more food than we have room for in our little apartment.

    Should Lawrence and I refuse to eat the food gifted to us when we need it, just because the givers are not Christian? Is the food any less "food" because it's given by an unbeliever? Will it not still fill our stomachs and keep us healthy? Of course it will! Those Christians who say we should only listen to music or accept God's blessings through Christians are limiting God's ability to use whomever He desires. At least that's my opinion... others can always disagree, lol.

    Again, thanks for sharing and making me think. God bless, Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke- I really like the illustration with your Chinese friends...you've actually given me an idea for another blog! Way to get those creative juices flowing! LOL

    I took a class several years ago for certification to teach ESL classes but have never had time to do it. Thanks for picking up this valuable ministry in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd read the blog post, but I'm in a rush to get things ready for when I head over to the church (getting there extra early so Brad can practice a bit more on the bass, since he wants to play it), but I know exactly who left that comment. One of my friends likes to be a tad rude to EVERYONE, so I'm used to listening to stuff like that (These are the friends I'm always arguing with about my beliefs and stuff).

    Anyway, I'll be sure to check on your blog every so often. I could always use something else to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was with you all the way up to the Willie Nelson part...

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that Jeff doesn't care for Willie...you have to like a distinctive type of country music to appreciate Willie Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHO IN THE WORLD IS THAT ONE GUY YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    (not Ray Boltz)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisabeth - Jimmy Swaggart was an evangelist that preached on TV. In 1988 it was discovered that he had been living a life of unfaithfulness. That incident is what I was referring to. He seems to be doing better but he has paid a very high price for his sin.

    ReplyDelete