Monday, November 10, 2008

bittersweet thoughts

What a time it has been since I last posted! I have spent the last week fighting a bronchial infection and finally gave up the fight last Thursday and just went to bed! Now I'm back up...but something happens to a house when momma is down...so there's plenty of work to do!

The election has come and gone. Come next January we will have a new president. According to Scripture, we are to pray for those in authority and show respect for their office. Let's do that whether we voted for him or not. I cannot imagine filling that office at this time in history. The Bible tells me that the heart of the king is in the hands of God and I will trust that.

Today is a bit of a bittersweet day - little V who has lived with us since he was 8 months old is leaving for his adoptive home. This is a good thing since he will be able to be with a forever family and they are also taking his older sister who is 5 so that they will stay together. HOORAY! He is such a precious little fellow that he will be a blessing to their family even though he has developed in to a VERY active toddler.

But it is bittersweet for our family...especially my girls who have become very attached to him. We come into foster care knowing that the vision that God has given us with this ministry is to strengthen families who may be struggling and assist them in growing into a more healthy family unit. In doing this, I really like to get to know the birth families and spend time with them. After all, our community is only as strong as its families.

But sometimes, as in V's case, things don't work out for him to go home. I am thankful that there are those families who are willing to open their hearts and homes to children in crises and give them that forever family.

We all work together in this system: foster families who provide a family setting for children and work to get them back home and families who commit to raising those children when they don't go back.

Either way it is an adventure...I thank God for the opportunity that He has given me to reach into the lives of the children in my community...even though sometimes it is bittersweet!

Hang in there! We're all in this together!

3 comments:

  1. Hoorah for little V. and hoorah for the family that has adopted him. I feel blessed that I had the chance to meet him and play yellow ball with him in the van. Tell Corrie and Gracie, chin up! they did an excellent job getting him ready for a loving family to raise him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad we were chosen to help V at this time of his life. I'm proud of my family for opening up their hearts to care for him and love him. Now it is indeed a bittersweet time for us, saying Goodbye and trusting God will water & harvest the seeds we planted in his life. What a Savior we have - He will never leave us nor forsake us!!! And we look forward to the Great Reunion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like someone said on one of your other blogs it takes a village to raise a child, foster parents, adoptive parents, grandparents, church people all have a part in a child's life that is displaced.
    God Bless those that can take on a child in need.

    ReplyDelete