Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Life in the fast lane...

The Eagles used to sing (or maybe they still do?) that "life in the fast lane will slowly make you lose your mind."

It has sure felt like I've been living and driving in that fast lane lately. It seems like I am constantly in the car driving someone somewhere...BUT life is fixing to change forever! As of this coming weekend I should have another driver in the household! YES!!!!!! Erik gets his license this week!!! Great rejoicing!

Some parents dread this moment but I have been looking forward to it for a long time. Another driver to do errands, take siblings to the hundreds of activities they seem to get themselves involved in, make some of the school runs...etc.

I would love to hear from other people who have had a new driver in the house - what was your experience? Good, bad, or indifferent? Do you stay up at night worrying or are you breathing a sigh of relief that they are growing up? Am I kidding myself that this is a momentous moment of joy?

Corrie is already doing a lot of driving with her permit but I have to be with her. In a few days, Erik will be on his own. Watch out, Council Bluffs...here he comes! And I, for one, am proud of him and think he'll do a great job.

(Speaking of job - he better get one to pay for the insurance. YIKES! Good thing he's got good grades!)

5 comments:

  1. I was excited about Nitro finally driving too! And it's come in very handy more than once!!! I think that's part of the reason why I feel like we're dragging our feet more with Aravis. We already have an extra driver....hmmmm....ahhhhh... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, in Kansas, mom and I were always on the go. I think we were home, like, to sleep, and that's it. I started to actually get sick all the time (I do now, too, but that's because of the air :P) from not having any breaks. Definitely take some time to rest whenever you can. It's funny how God knew about that sort of thing beforehand, and set aside a day of rest. :)

    Hillsong is amazing. They're heavy on guitar and bass, which is the main reason I love playing their stuff. I rarely get to hear their keyboardist, except on very slow songs. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't send him out to much the first year, the more he drives the likely hood there could be an accident and this is his first year the most strick one accident and no new licence for a while.

    Just because they have there license does mean they should take on the responsiblity of the parents
    Teenagers don't process like we do ask him if he would like to do you a favor, or I need something from the store would you like to go for me, they might say no witch should be ok. Just be careful teens are care free beings and are very special people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the advice, guys! So far, he has been doing really well. I'm proud of him.

    He even filled up the tires on his own when he noticed they were getting low. Way to pay attention, Erik!

    So far the only ones he has had in his car are family members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, anonymous...you're so right...they seem so care free and are very special people. I hope he enjoys this time in his life before all the cares of full adulthood come crashing down on him.

    ReplyDelete