Thursday, September 15, 2011

Is Alzheimers Really a Valid Excuse for Divorce?


I was floored this morning to read this article on the editorial page of Christianity Today: "Pat Robertson Says Divorce Okay if Spouse Has Alzheimers."

I agree that Alzheimers is one of the most difficult of diseases. It is a diagnosis that is, perhaps, even harder on the family than it is on the patient. One friend recently shared with me, "We've always dreamed of these years in our lives when we would just sit on the porch together and talk about the memories of the kids and our lives together. Now we do sit on the porch together...but only one of us has the memories. It's a lonely feeling. There is no one to share the memories with."

Heartbreaking? Absolutely! I have often wondered how I would respond if something happened to my husband, Shawn, and he was no longer able to be the man I married. A car accident could leave him a paraplegic in a moment. A disease could ravage his body. Not only would I be without the "man I married" but I would have the added responsibilities of taking care of him day in and day out with very little promise, if any, of him being able to meet my needs in return. How would I react? Could I do it? How would I handle the loneliness? Would I resent the time, energy, and effort to care for him? Would I become bitter because I was "missing out on life" by taking care of someone who would never be able to do one thing for me? Tough questions about my commitment and my very character.

This gets me thinking...as a Christian (someone who lives under the Lordship of Christ) when I came to Jesus he looked directly at me through his Word and said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." What does it look like to live that out in relation to these questions above?

We tend to think about "taking up our cross" and "denying ourselves" as one big spiritual sacrifice that we make, then we're done with...like giving our car to a needy family or running into a burning building to rescue a child.

But, in reality, denying ourselves and taking up our cross is something that we do every day. It is a thousand little sacrifices, a lifetime of unnoticed acts, which cumulatively become huge. It's a man who loves his paralyzed wife for forty years by saying no to his sexual desires daily and dumping her bag of urine three times a day because he loves her as Christ loves the Church. It is a woman who never gets a full nights sleep because she gets up six times a night to reassure a frightened husband that he is alright - a husband who hasn't recognized her for years and hasn't spoken a kind word to her in months due to the loss of his mental faculties.

We have somewhere gotten the idea that the goal of marriage is our own personal fulfillment and when marriage no longer gives us personal satisfaction it is okay to abandon our vows of "better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health."

Think with me for just a minute....what if God's design for marriage was less about meeting my needs and more about being a reflection of His relationship with humankind? What if, as Paul said, the husband loves his wife as Christ loves the Church? What if Jesus loved the Church in the way that Mr. Robertson espouses in this article...abandoning us when we no longer fulfill His needs? That sounds unthinkable....and yet this is played out in our Christian homes far too often.

Taking up our cross daily and denying ourselves is not just about the person who dies in the coliseum in one triumphant hour torn apart by lions because he refused to deny Christ. It is about the daily choices I make in each part of my life...including my marriage. "Lord, please strengthen and empower me to be just that kind of person. I can't do it on my own."

On a side note - The Bible also talks to us about "bearing one anothers burdens." Mr. Robertson does make a very important point about the need for companionship. The frustration that I feel at his statement should also prompt me to offer true friendship and regular fellowship to those spouses who have, for all intents and purposes, 'lost' their spouse in this way. Their road is a lonely and often a long one - let's make sure that they have companionship of another kind so their burden is not too much to bear by themselves.

11 comments:

  1. NO ! no excuse ..I've seen where the spouse was the only person the ALZHEIMERS person knew.. There was a couple I knew the sweetest couple the wife had alzeimers she was starting to forget things he helped her remember the things she was forgeting..There was one time at hurch they were going home I would walk with them to the car she started to cry I ask what was wrong she says he is going to leave me I said no he's not she says yes is I said he is wanting to take you home she smiled and said he does .A year later she pasted HE WAS STILL at her side when she pasted.. He took he's vows as they day they met ! Until death do part !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant, and well-said Ruthie. Especially appreciated your care to connect it to Paul's use of the marriage image for explain the sacrificial love that Christ sustains toward his church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Ruthie. Everyone needs to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marriage as a picture of Christ's relationship with his church is exactly the point John Piper made when responding to Pat Robertson's statement. I made a commitment to my wife and I will be there until the end....regardless. When I chose a spouse I made sure it was someone I would still love and stand with if something terrible happened to her. Very well said....glad to provide a spark of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to hear the answer the revered preacher gave as his solution to dealing with spouses suffering from Alzheimer. I wonder what is becoming of some of our preacher's. God have mercy!!. No wonder almost all false doctrines had emanated from America.I think he will rethink after these backlashes he had received all across the globe.As said by Dr Sandra Weintraub, professor of neurology and a neuropsychologist "Every person needs to make their own decisions and to consider all parties involved. I sincerely hope the good reverend never has to have Alzheimer's to experience his advice first hand."
    Some America Christian's need to know that times may change but the word of God is for all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised to hear the answer the revered preacher gave as his solution to dealing with spouses suffering from Alzheimer. I wonder what is becoming of some of our preacher's. God have mercy!!. No wonder almost all false doctrines had emanated from America.I think he will rethink after these backlashes he had received all across the globe.As said by Dr Sandra Weintraub, professor of neurology and a neuropsychologist "Every person needs to make their own decisions and to consider all parties involved. I sincerely hope the good reverend never has to have Alzheimer's to experience his advice first hand."
    Some America Christian's need to know that times may change but the word of God is for all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my husband had a slow disease for 14 years and bed ridden the last 2 .... i was always shocked when people would commend me for sticking by him and taking care of him....it was almost an insult... my heart said till death do we part....and then when he flew off to heaven it was "untill we meet again... in heaven..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walking this thing out with mother-in-law. Sure it is challenging, difficult, frustrating, but I admire my father-in-law as his wife of 63 years declines. I am convinced we are never more like Christ than when we serve. Imagine my encouragement when the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart, " You are never more like ME, than when you serve those in My Body, including your mother." Commitment is never about how one "feels" - if that was the case, Christ would have never faced the cross, taken the cup of suffering that HE knew was the Father's plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humphrey
    Hasn't Pat Robertson heard or read the story of Robert McQuilkin? "A promise Kept' I encourage all married Christians to get that book to read.

    ReplyDelete