Thursday, February 5, 2009

Don't chase the snake! Get rid of the poison!


Not too long ago I had to take a first aid course at Iowa Western Community College; actually, I had to take a Physical Education course and this sounded like the one most down my alley since it didn't involve much strenuous activity!

One of the things we learned about was snake bites. According to our book, one of the worst things you can do after being bitten by a snake is to try to chase the snake to kill it yourself. Apparently, when you do that the poison works it way through your circulatory system more quickly because of the exertion. You would do better to lie quietly and do something about the poison that's already inside you due to the bite than to go running after the snake.

I have been thinking about this. There have been times in my life when it felt like I had been bitten by a "snake." Someone with an unkind word, rude remark, or just plain meanness left me feeling as if I had just been "bit." In those brief moments following those times, I have a choice to make as to how I will respond: will I chase after the "snake" or work on ridding myself of any "poison" that might be working its way through me due to the "bite."

The natural reaction is, of course, to take revenge on the snake but catching it is unlikely and the chase only serves to strengthen the potency of the poison.

So that leaves me with another option - take some time to take care of myself and get the poison out! How do we do this? Jesus gives us some great advice in Luke 6, when He tells us to love our enemies. He gives four specific actions to tell us exactly what to do. We are to "do good to them, to bless them, pray for them, and give to them."

Why? He knows that our natural tendency when we have an "enemy" is to want to punish, retaliate, defend ourselves, and seek revenge. We want them to hurt like they have hurt us. But, in doing this, the one we most often end up hurting is ourselves! How many nights of sleep have you lost thinking over past "bites" when the one who "bit" you is home fast asleep? Who's being punished here?

That's why Jesus gives us an alternative. Doing good, blessing, praying, and giving are antidotes for the poisons in my spiritual bloodstream. Is there someone who has "bitten" you? Are you spending so much energy chasing them that the poison has worked it's way through your system and you're so drained that you just can't find healing? Ask the Lord to show you how doing good, blessing, praying, and giving might just be the antidote you're looking for!

Hang in there! We're all in this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment